There is absolutely no reason to use synthetic mouthwashes (or toothpaste for that matter). I urge you to kiss them goodbye! Our much loved, artificially coloured and flavored products like Listerine and Colgate Plax, don’t serve much purpose other than fresh breath. The alcohol present in them increases the risk of oral cancer. Not to mention the minor dental benefits of fluoride far outweigh the dangers and possible side effects due to its toxicity. But never fear, for natural mouthwash is near!
Children suffer the most with a risk of developing dental fluorosis – a condition caused by over-exposure to fluoride that can cause crumbling of the enamel and permanent damage to teeth during the tooth forming years (0-8 years old). And since I’m already ranting, did you also know that:
“A single tube of bubble-gum flavored Colgate-for-Kids toothpaste contains enough fluoride (143 mg) to kill a child weighing less than 30 kg.”(Whitford 1987a)
The natural mouthwash recipe below contains none of the above mentioned toxins and actually strengthens teeth by providing teeth with essential minerals. All the ingredients are readily found at your local pharmacy.
Lasted me about: 1 month (using everyday)
Estimated shelf life: 1 month (stored in an airtight container away from direct sunlight, or a little longer if kept in the refrigerator).
Remember: Most of these ingredients have a long shelf life and are common in natural recipes, so you will be left with ingredients to make more recipes, and won’t have to buy everything all over again.
*Costs accurate at time of writing this blog post. Costs based on the best available prices I’ve personally found.
Tastes nothing like Listerine, which takes some getting used to. I like to make mine very sweet with a tablespoon of liquid stevia – this makes it quite pleasant to swoosh around.
CHERRY ON TOP
- Alcohol-free mixture means there’s no link to oral cancer.
- The ingredients don’t break down the enamel of your teeth (like fluoride does), but rather strengthens your teeth by providing essential minerals.
- Real/ Himalayan salt (i.e. Not iodated table salt): Natural disinfectant, rich in minerals & trace elements which benefit gums & teeth, whitens teeth (buy here).
- Calc Phos (tissue salt no.2): Supports strong healthy bones and teeth (buy here).
- Apple cider vinegar (ACV): Whitens teeth, Potassium & Calcuim in ACV strengthen teeth (but it must be used diluted so it doesn’t erode tooth enamel). Unfiltered, unprocessed ACV is cloudy and has a substance floating in it – this is the best quality to use (buy here). If you can’t afford to buy the good stuff, then make your own raw ACV at home. Here’s my homemade ACV recipe.
- Xylitol: Natural sweetener known to have dental benefits which include the prevention of cavities. It is a naturally occurring sugar alcohol found in most plant material (buy here).
- Stevia: Natural sweetener. It is a shrub native to tropical and subtropical America, whose leaves may be used as a calorie-free substitute for sugar (buy here).
- Peppermint EO: Antiseptic properties help eliminate bad breath and fight off germs, it can also provide relief from toothache and helps treat indigestion. It is also a great, natural flavoring agent in toothpaste (buy here).
- Cinnamon EO: besides being an effective flavoring agent, cinnamon helps kill harmful bacteria and prevents cavities. However, dilute this oil well and discontinue use if irritation occurs, as cinnamon oil can cause irritation and inflammation in the mouth (buy here).
- Lemon juice: has antimicrobial properties which prevents bacteria growth, and it is an effective teeth whitening agent.
Not sure where to find these, or other ingredients? My shopping guide may help you.
- 1 cup Water (distilled, preferably)
- 1 teaspoon Real sea salt or Himalayan salt (not iodated table salt)
- 1 teaspoon Calc phos powder (tissue salt no.2)
- 2 tablespoons Apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Lemon juice
- 1-2 tablespoons Natural sweetener - xylitol/ stevia powder/ liquid stevia
- 20 drops Peppermint essential oil (or 5 drops cinnamon if you prefer the taste)
- Crush Calc Phos tablets with the back of a spoon into a powder.
- Combine powder ingredients (i.e. Calc Phos powder, sweetner and salt).
- Combine liquid ingredients (i.e. Water, vinegar, lemon juice and essential oils).
- Add powder mix from step 2 to liquid mix in step 3.
- Shake well and store in a glass bottle away from direct sunlight, or in the refrigerator.
- Shake well before each use. Rinse mouth by gargling with the mixture for a few seconds. Do not swallow.
- 1) Please supervise children just as you would supervise them if they were using any other commercial mouthwash. Although everything in this recipe is edible, essential oils are very strong concentrations of herbs and should not be swallowed in significant amounts.
- 2) Cinnamon essential oil may cause irritation and inflammation in the mouth, and must be used in diluted form. If irritation occurs, discontinue use.
- 3) Please consult your dentist about what is best used (if any at all) for your own personal situation.
What natural mouthwash have you tried before?
Are you new to essential oils? Please read how to use them safely.