Have you ever eaten six carrots a day for two weeks? I did. I was told it would clear my bad skin, but all it did was leave me with a cringe at the sight of the crunchy, orange vegetable. Like many, I had tried and was willing to try everything – expensive skin care products, vitamin A, Roaccutane and yes, even the carrot thing. But nothing. And just before I was about to reluctantly go on a second trial of Roaccutane, I decided to at least try one more suggestion that was cheaper, and that had no horrible side effects. Honey. See, I told you this was simple.
I used this face mask for five minutes every morning and about one hour each evening, and after two weeks my skin had radically cleared and had already appeared more smooth and vibrant. Long term, the honey has helped lighten my scars and has kept breakouts away indefinitely. I don’t even have to wear foundation to cover up! Since I’ve tackled my problem skin, I don’t need to use this mask every day anymore. Now, I only use this mask every other week as a beauty treatment.
Recipe Variations & Substitutions
You can just use raw honey alone – no need for anything extra. Just make sure the label says “RAW” honey. The honey will work it’s magic by itself, but the added ingredients in this recipe are worthwhile.
Cost & Shelf Life
Cost price: R32.61 per 250ml recipe.
Lasted me about: 3 months using a teaspoon every day.
Estimated shelf life: 6 months if stored away from direct sunlight and moisture.
*Costs accurate at time of writing, and based on the best retail prices that I’ve found.
It’s sticky, but at least honey dissolves very easily with water.
Cherry on top
Most times, I don’t feel like I need to moisturise afterwards.
- Raw honey: Antiseptic, antibacterial, soothing, healing, reduces scars, moisturises, anti-inflammatory. (Buy Here)
- Lemon juice: Diminishes scars, heals acne, gentle exfoliant, tones skin. (OR Buy Lemon Extract Here)
- Vitamin E oil: Diminishes scars, promotes intense healing of damaged tissue, moisturises. (Buy Here)
- Cinnamon EO: Helps dry out oily skin. (Buy Here)
- Tea tree EO: Reduces sebum production and fights off the acne causing bacteria (Buy Here).
- Lavender EO: Inhibits bacteria, regulates over secretion of sebum, reduces inflammation and reduces the signs of scarring (Buy Here).
How has honey worked for your skin? I’d love to know, please share in the comments below.