Don’t you just love the smell of freshly brewed coffee? Wouldn’t you like to smell like a cup of Frisco? Laughs. Okay, maybe that’s taking it too far, but there’s more to the coffee bean than a winter warm-me-up, or wake-me-up. A coffee scrub makes a rejuvenating spa treatment for dry winter skin, and it takes the same amount of time to make as your morning cup of coffee. Just skip boiling the water, and add some olive oil.
COST & SHELF LIFE
Lasted me about: 2 weeks (using twice for a full body scrub)
Estimated shelf life: 3 months (stored in an airtight container away from moisture). Use a spoon or spatula to scoop the scrub out being careful not to get any water into your container, as this will shorten its shelf life.
Remember: Most of these ingredients have a long shelf life and are common in natural recipes, so you will be left with ingredients to make more recipes, and won’t have to buy everything all over again.
*Costs accurate at time of writing this blog post. Costs based on the best available prices I’ve personally found.
- Like other scrubs, washing it off is like washing sand off after a long day at the beach. However, the silky soft result is totally worth the extra rub-a-dub-dub.
CHERRY ON TOP
- Super soft and silky skin.
- Makes a great gift.
- Assists in the prevention and treatment of cellulite and varicose veins. Promotes good circulation and toned skin.
- Ground coffee: Exfoliating with coffee grounds improves circulation, leaving you with smooth, glowing and firmer looking skin. Caffeine is also a vasoconstrictor, meaning that it causes blood vessels to constrict, so it can temporarily reduce varicose veins and rosacea. (buy here)
- Brown sugar: An excellent exfoliant that removes the layer of dead cells on your skin’s surface, leaving your skin feeling soft and smooth. You can use any sugar. (buy here)
- Olive oil: Excellent moisturiser for dry skin. (buy here)
Not sure where to find these ingredients? My shopping guide may help you.
- 4 Tablespoons Ground coffee beans
- 4 Tablespoons Brown sugar
- 4 Tablespoons Olive oil
- 1 Teaspoon Cinnamon (optional)
- 10 drops Essential oils for fragrance/ aroma-therapeutic benefits (optional).
- Makes about 100ml.
- Combine dry ingredients well i.e. Coffee, sugar and cinnamon.
- Combine oils, and then add to dry ingredients and mix well.
- Store in an airtight container away from direct sunlight. Be careful not to get water into jar, as this will shorten the shelf life.
- Brown sugar --> White sugar (or any sugar), sea salt, epsom salts.
- Olive oil --> Sunflower oil, coconut oil, sweet almond oil (or any oil with a long shelf life). If you find that olive oil is too thick and leaves a greasy residue, I suggest using a thinner oil like coconut oil.
- 1.) Essential oils that improve circulation and help tone skin: lemon, orange and grapefruit i.e. Citrus oils.
- 2.) Vanilla pot-potpourri oil, or vanilla pods make a wonderful combination with the scent of the coffee. This is a great scent combination for gifts.