What if I told you, the makeup removal process doesn’t have to be so tedious? You can use one natural ingredient to remove makeup, cleanse your skin and moisturize all in one go. I can’t go to bed like Sleeping Beauty and wake up with mascara in tact. Instead, I resemble a raccoon-zombie. So every night we scrub once, twice and three times over, then wipe again with toner; only to apply the same makeup the next morning. But this hassle is unnecessary.
In order to remove makeup quickly and easily you need oil. I know many of you are probably looking at your screen wide-eyed, thinking I’m crazy to suggest that you apply oil to your face.
It can’t be worse than the synthetic toxins in your face wash, or current makeup remover. So let me explain the method to my madness:
How It Works
This is known as the oil cleansing method. You see…oil dissolves oil, and your makeup is mostly oil-based. Your pores contain natural oils too, which get polluted after a long day. When you apply a nourishing oil to your face, you will dissolve the makeup as well as cleanse the oil in your pores by replacing it with a clean source of nutrients. After removing the makeup, there will still be a thin barrier of oil left on your skin which locks in moisture. Hence, we have an ingredient that cleanses pores, removes makeup and moisturises.
Best Oil For Your Skin Type
Choose an oil best suited to your skin type. I recommend coconut oil, as it suits most skin types. Coconut oil is also antibacterial, which helps prevent breakouts (buy here).
- All skin types: Coconut oil / Jojoba oil / Sunflower oil
- Normal skin: Jojoba oil / Sunflower oil / Sweet Almond oil
- Dry skin: Olive oil / Argan oil / Avocado oil / Coconut oil
- Oily skin: Coconut oil / Sunflower oil / Castor oil / Grapeseed oil / Almond oil / Jojoba oil
- Combination skin: Grapeseed oil / Jojoba oil / Sunflower oil
- Aged skin: Argan oil / Rose Hip oil / Avocado oil
- Sensitive skin: Grapeseed oil / Avocado oil
DIRECTIONS FOR USE
- Apply a thin layer of oil to your face, as you would apply your cream or face wash. I recommend using about 1-2 tablespoons in total. Rub the oil in circular motions, including around the eye area (and eyelashes).
- Using a cotton round, toilet paper or damp face cloth (that you don’t mind getting makeup stains on) wipe the oil off and watch your makeup disappear in one fell swoop.
TIP: You can also use this as an everyday face wash, even if you’re not wearing makeup.
COST & SHELF LIFE
Lasted me about: 6 months (100ml Extra Virgin Olive oil)
Estimated shelf life: Each oil has a different shelf life, but most of them will last one year if kept away from direct sunlight.
*Costs accurate at time of writing this blog post. Costs based on the best available retail prices I’ve personally found.
You need to get over the idea that oil will clog your pores.
CHERRY ON TOP
- Your eyelashes will start growing like crazy! The oil nourishes eyelashes and promotes their growth. I am often asked if my eyelashes are real (just sayin’).
- This also acts as a moisturiser for your skin, so it’s a 2-in-1 solution.
How well has oil cleansing worked to remove your makeup? Let me know in the comments below.