There is no miracle plant that will shed kilos for us while we sit and laze about eating cakes and watching TV all day. In order to lose weight, we all need to exercise and eat healthy. However, on top of that, regular massage and application of certain essential oils will definitely help tone your skin, improve circulation and reduce the appearance of cellulite. The essential oils used in this recipe will improve your body tissue tone, and many also have a diuretic effect which will help your body eliminate some toxins associated with cellulite. Since the essential oils are the active ‘toning’ ingredients, you can use any natural cream base, even my simple coconut oil lotion. However, the ingredients used in this particular recipe are incredibly nourishing and moisturising, just as you would expect of a body butter.
COST & SHELF LIFE
Cost Price: R54.23 per 300ml
Lasted me about: 1 month (using daily).
Estimated shelf life: 6 months (if stored away from direct sunlight).
*Costs accurate at the time of writing, and based on the best retail prices I’ve found.
Need to be careful of sun exposure, because citrus essential oils are photo-toxic. In other words, they may cause you to get sunburned quicker/ more easily. I highly recommend applying this body butter in the evening if you choose to use citrus oils.
CHERRY ON TOP
The citrus scent is so fresh and smells divine.
- Coconut oil: Anti-ageing, and rich in proteins which repair damaged tissues. (buy here).
- Unrefined raw shea butter: Contains vitamins A and E as well as essential fatty acids, which help maintain skin’s elasticity and suppleness. It also helps rebuild and rejuvenate collagen. (buy here)
- Vitamin E oil: Blocks free radical damage, boosts collagen production and speeds up cell regeneration. (buy here)
- Glycerine: Works as a humectant by attracting water from the air and helps in retaining water in the skin. The protective barrier minimizes water loss due to evaporation, so it keeps the skin well hydrated and nourished. Hence it can cure, prevent and treat dry skin. (buy here)
- Toning essential oils: Grapefruit, Lemon, Rosemary, Basil, Orange, Lavender, Thyme, Lime, Lemongrass. If you can only afford to buy one, I would recommend Grapefruit essential oil. (buy organic essential oils here).
Have you made this recipe – what do you think? Please share in the comments below.