There is no miracle plant that will shed kilos for us while we sit and laze about eating cakes and watching TV all day. In order to lose weight, we all need to exercise and eat healthy. However, on top of that, regular massage and application of certain essential oils will definitely help tone your skin, improve circulation and reduce the appearance of cellulite. The essential oils used in this recipe will improve your body tissue tone, and many also have a diuretic effect which will help your body eliminate some toxins associated with cellulite.
Since the essential oils are the active ‘toning’ ingredients, you can use any natural cream base, even my simple coconut oil lotion. Although, the ingredients used in this particular body lotion are incredibly nourishing and moisturizing, just as you would expect of a body butter.
Lasted me about: 1 month (using daily)
Estimated shelf life: 1 year
Remember: Most of these ingredients have a long shelf life and are common in natural recipes, so you will be left with ingredients to make more recipes, and won’t have to buy everything all over again.
*Costs accurate at time of writing this blog post.
- Need to be careful of sun exposure, because citrus essential oils are photo-toxic. In other words, they may cause you to get sunburned quicker/ more easily. I highly recommend applying this body butter in the evening if you choose to use citrus oils.
CHERRY ON TOP
The citrus scent is so fresh and smells divine!
- Coconut oil: Anti-aging, rich in proteins which repair damaged tissues. (buy here).
- Unrefined raw shea butter: Contains vitamins A and E as well as essential fatty acids, which help maintain skin’s elasticity and suppleness. It also helps rebuild and rejuvenate collagen. It provides some protection from the sun. (buy here)
- Vitamin E oil: Blocks free radical damage, boosts collagen production and speeds up cell regeneration. (buy here)
- Glycerine: Works as a humectant by attracting water from the air and helps in retaining water in the skin. The protective barrier minimizes water loss due to evaporation, so it keeps the skin well hydrated and nourished. Hence it can cure, prevent and treat dry skin. (buy here)
- Toning essential oils: Grapefruit, Lemon, Rosemary, Basil, Orange, Lavender, Thyme, Lime, Lemongrass. If you can only afford to buy one, I would recommend Grapefruit essential oil. (buy organic essential oils here).
Need help finding these, or other ingredients? My shopping guide may help you.
- 1 Cup Organic coconut oil
- 1 TB Raw unrefined shea butter
- 1 TB Vitamin E oil
- 1 TB Bees wax
- 1 tsp Glycerine
- 50 drops Essential oils with toning & diuretic properties. See suggestions below.
- Makes about 300ml.
- In a double boiler, melt the beeswax with 1 TB of the coconut oil. Be careful not to overheat, you just want the beeswax to melt, not boil.
- Once the beeswax has melted, add the shea butter and remaining coconut oil. Let it melt.
- Once this mixture has melted, add the vitamin E oil and glycerine. Mix well.
- Transfer to your container of choice while the mixture is still warm, and quickly add your essential oils. Mix well.
- Allow to cool. As the mixture cools, it will harden to a cream-like texture.
- Optional: Once cool, you may whip the lotion with a whisk or fork to create a "whipped" body butter.
- Grapefruit*, Lemon*, Rosemary, Basil, Orange*, Lavender, Thyme, Lime*, Lemongrass.
- *indicates citrus essential oils.
- 15 drops grapefruit, 15 drops rosemary, 10 drops lemon, 5 drops thyme, 5 drops orange.
- Bees wax is optional, especially if you live in a colder climate. Since coconut oil melts in warm weather, the bees wax ensures a solid cream texture.
- Citrus essential oils will make your skin sensitive to UV light, which will cause you to sunburn more easily/ quickly. If you choose to use these in your recipe, I recommend applying this body butter in the evening to avoid sunburn.
What do you think of this recipe? Please share in the comments below.