If there was ever a super cheap, all-in-one moisturiser that was easier to make than a sandwich – this recipe would be it! This moisturiser repairs skin, treats acne and is anti-ageing! There are many ways to moisturise your skin that are even simpler than this recipe. For example, you can just apply olive or coconut oil as it is to your skin. But if you are looking for a little bit more than just ‘moisturising’, then this recipe will nourish, heal and protect your skin with its few additional ingredients.
Lasted me about: 3 months (using every day)
Estimated shelf life: 1 year
Remember: Most of these ingredients have a long shelf life and are common in natural recipes, so you will be left with ingredients to make more recipes, and won’t have to buy everything all over again.
*Costs accurate at time of writing this blog post.
- Melts easily in warm weather, so texture becomes more like a moisturising oil than a cream. If this bothers you, just melt a teaspoon of beeswax into this mixture over a double boiler. Stir until the beeswax is just melted (be careful not to overheat/ boil). Pour back into your container & let cool. The beeswax will harden the mixture to a more “cream-like” texture. Don’t have beeswax? Keep it in the fridge to prevent melting.
- You may find that it’s too thin to be effective as a hand cream. If so, I suggest making my nourishing hand cream recipe.
CHERRY ON TOP
Super cheap, yet effective anti-ageing cream with a very long shelf life.
Plus, you can use this as a base for your essential oils in an ailment specific massage oil. For example, for an insect repellent lotion add citronella essential oil to the coconut oil & vitamin e mixture. The essential oils used in this specific recipe work well for anti-ageing and also treats skin prone to breakouts.
- Organic coconut oil: Offers some sun protection, anti-ageing, rich in proteins which repair damaged tissues (buy here).
- Vitamin E oil: Blocks free radical damage, boosts collagen production, speeds up cell regeneration.
- Lavender essential oil: Treats acne, reduces scars, soothes skin aggravated by stress and treats wrinkles. (buy here)
- Tea tree essential oil (optional for acne-prone skin): Reduces sebum production on the skin, and is anti-bacterial. (buy here)
Need help finding these ingredients? My shopping guide may help you.
- 1/2 cup Organic coconut oil
- 1 Teaspoon Vitamin E oil
- 10 drops Lavender essential oil
- 5-7 drops Tea tree essential oil (optional for treating & preventing acne)
- Makes 125ml.
- Like many of my recipes, just mix it all up, and put into a pretty container. It's that simple.
- Please be careful not to ingest tea tree essential oil. Read how to use essential oils safely by following the link at the end of this post.
Are you new to essential oils? Please read how to use them safely.