1. Bath milks
- 1/2 cup milk powder
- 1/2 cup epsom salts
- 1 tablespoon of dried or fresh herbs or flowers.
- 20 drops of essential oil.
Combine all ingredients and package in a jar.
- Relaxing: Lavender blossoms & lavender essential oil.
- Relaxing: Chamomile flowers & chamomile essential oil.
- Energising: Citrus zest & grapefruit essential oil.
- Refreshing: Dried/ fresh rosemary & rosemary essential oil.
- Romantic: Rose petals & rose essential oil (or geranium if you don’t have rose EO).
- Fun Mojito bath: Lime zest, peppermint leaves & peppermint essential oil.
2. BODY Scrubs
- 1 cup exfoliant:
Sugar / ground sea salt/ epsom salts / ground coffee / oats
- 1/4 – 1/2 cup light oil:
Coconut oil / almond oil/ grapeseed oil/ sunflower oil/ raw honey
- 2 tablespoons of fun add-ons:
Cocoa powder / herbs / spices / citrus zest / chocolate shavings / vanilla extract/ poppy seeds
- 10-20 drops essential oils:
Lavender, geranium, peppermint, grapefruit, bergamot, vanilla and ylang ylang have great scents!
Pour the oil over your chosen exfoliant until it just covers and saturates it. Don’t add too much – you don’t want to end up with a liquid scrub. Add a little oil at a time until you reach the desired consistency. Mix in your fun add-ons and essential oils and you’re ready to wrap!
Try this recipe: Coffee & Sugar Body Scrub for Cellulite
Some other ideas:
- Peppermint crisp: Brown sugar / almond oil / cocoa powder / peppermint essential oil
- Anti-cellulite: Ground coffee / coconut oil / cinnamon / orange zest / grapefruit essential oil
- Summertime bliss: Ground sea salt / raw honey / citrus zest / citrus essential oil
- Chai: Ground coffee / cinnamon / ginger / nutmeg / cinnamon & ginger essential oil
- Soothing: Ground oats / raw honey / vanilla extract or vanilla essential oil
If you’d rather buy, then I recommend: Lavish The Ex-Factor Face Exfoliator (I love the texture & fresh scent!)
- For the base: High-proof vodka, water or a combination of both.
- Essential oils
- Fill your container with your base.
- Add your chosen essential oils and shake well.
Rule of thumb: 1 drop of essential oil for every milliliter of base i.e. 50 drops for 50ml of vodka. However some scents are stronger than others, so allow your nose to guide you by adding 10 drops at a time until you reach the desired strength.
- TIP: If you are a beginner, I would suggest only using one essential oil that you like. If using more than one essential oil, allow to stand for at least 48 hours in a dark place and shake every day. The scents of the different oils will “merge” and form a new scent. This is the best time to judge the “true” smell of your fragrance.
- Sweet & floral: Orange (30%), Ylang Ylang (50%) and Vanilla (20%)
- Sweet: Rosemary (50%) & Vanilla (50%)
- Musky: Orange (60%) & cinnamon (40%)
- Fresh & floral: Rose geranium (70%) & pine (30%)
- Masculine: Sandalwood (80%) and cinnamon (20%)
If you’d rather buy, then I recommend: Acorelle Absolu Tiare Eau de Parfum (This particular one smells sweetly divine!)
4. Solid perfume
- 1Tablespoon of carrier oil for the base
(olive, coconut, sweet almond, grapeseed etc. Coconut & jojoba have very long shelf lives)
- 1 teaspoon of bees wax
- 15-20 drops essential oils for fragrance
Melt the beeswax in a double boiler with the carrier oil. Transfer to your container and mix in your essential oils. The mixture will harden as it cools into a solid perfume.
If you’d rather buy, then I recommend: Sassui Perfume Pencils
5. Lip balm
- 1 Tablespoon of carrier oil
(shea butter, olive, coconut, grapeseed etc. Coconut & jojoba have very long shelf lives)
- 1 teaspoon bees wax
- Optional: 2 drops of essential oils for fragrance (peppermint works well)
Melt the beeswax in a double boiler with the carrier oil. Add essential oil, if using. Take off heat and quickly transfer to your container. The mixture will harden as it cools into a solid lip balm.
If you’d rather buy, then I recommend: Oh-Lief Natural Olive Lip Balm (Grapefruit)
6. Body Wash
- A bar of natural soap (approx. 100g)
- 1 cup of boiling water
- Optional additives: Essential oils for fragrance, honey , coconut oil.
Grate the soap bar and place in a double boiler. Add the boiling water to the grated soap and mix until the soap melts completely. Take off heat and allow to cool. Mix in your optional extras once cooled, and pour your liquid soap into a suitable container.
If you’d rather buy, then I recommend: Wild Rosemary & Vanilla Shower Gel (It has the most amazing scent – you may feel the urge to eat it, but don’t!)
Do you have any quick DIY gift ideas? Please share in the comments below.